Monday, December 30, 2013

End of the Year Wrap-Up

The end of 2013 is upon us! It's always bittersweet to say goodbye to a great year and take on a new one, but I'm planning on making 2014 just as great as 2013. Let's look back on the year.

Top 13 books

(In no particular order):

1. (and) 2. Insurgent and Allegiant by Veronica Roth
3. (and) 4. Eleanor & Park and Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell (New favorite author that I will be stalking in 2014. Eleanor & Park is the best book I've ever read after Harry Potter, and those who know me well should know that's high praise.)
5. How I Lost You by Janet Gurtler
6. Ketchup Clouds by Annabel Pitcher
7. Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson
8. Reality Boy by A.S. King
9. The Darkness Rising trilogy by Kelley Armstrong.
10. City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
11. The Unlikely Debut of Ellie Sweet by Stephanie Morrill
12. The Host by Stephenie Meyer
13. Wonder by R.J. Palacio

New blogging friends (limit to five)

Yeah, I had to give myself a limit, otherwise this post would've been loooooooooong.

1. The Notebooks Sisters! :D Cait and Mime are hilarious and quite possibly evil. They might be plotting your demise at this very moment. Actually, they're probably sleeping seeing as they're in Australia, but I'm sure they're plotting your demise in their dreams. Their minds are strange and scary things. I find myself bookmarking nearly every single one of their blog posts, because I know if I go back to them, I'll get a good laugh.
2. Karoline from "As a Teen Writer". In the short time I've known her, Karoline has really taken charge and taken off! We've been swapping blog posts (which, by the way, will start up again in January), she's been giving great advice on writing, and she's starting an online book club. Pretty sweet, huh?
3. The Book Chewers. I've had tons of fun with my fellow chewers over at TBC. Lydia, Cait, Charley, and Kristin have introduced me to tons of new books, as well as fun aspects of old books that I'd missed. We've laughed (and cried) over the same characters and fallen in love with the same thing: reading.
4. Bethy from "Rainbows and Penguins". There's really no other way to describe her blog other than fun. She's always mixing stuff up on her blog, whether it's the topic of her posts or the design, and she's always up for a conversation. I've really enjoyed everything she's written!
5. storytellergirlgrace from "StorytellerGirl". Not only is she a dedicated reader and commenter, but she also has a fantastic blog! She's had posts about everything from her favorite words, to her favorite music, to memories from her childhood. They're always deep and thoughtful, even with the simple things.


New obsessions

-"Gilmore Girls" (My new favorite TV show. My mom and I only have three more episodes to go. :( Sad and happy at the same time. I want to read Lauren Graham's book, Someday, Someday, Maybe).
-Rainbow Rowell (See above).
-Twitter (Way more fun than I could've expected)!
-Imagine Dragons
-Goodreads (Yeah, I've finally joined. I'm still getting the hang of it all, but I'm learning!)

Most played songs

"Everybody Wants to Rule the World" -- Lorde
"Amsterdam" -- Imagine Dragons
"Demons" -- Imagine Dragons
"Radioactive" -- Imagine Dragons
"It's Time" -- Imagine Dragons (Told you I was obsessed).
"Brave" -- Sara Bareilles
"Bohemian Rhapsody" -- Queen
"Just Give Me a Reason" -- P!nk featuring Nate Ruess
"Cups" -- Anna Kendrick (I can do the motions, too. It drives my brother crazy, but once you learn how to do it, you have to do it any time the song comes on.)
"Change" -- Taylor Swift
"Jump Then Fall" -- Taylor Swift
"Sweeter Than Fiction" -- Taylor Swift
"We Remain" -- Christina Aguilera
"Atlas" -- Coldplay
"I'll Be There For You" -- The Rembrandts
"Same Love" -- Macklemore & Ryan Lewis featuring Mary Lambert
"In My Life" -- The Beatles
"Wonder" -- Natalie Merchant
"Walk Like An Egyptian" -- The Bangles
"The Night Santa Went Crazy" -- Weird Al Yankovic (My brother and I are strangely obsessed with this song).
"With Or Without You" -- U2
"Where the Streets Have No Name" -- U2
"Beautiful Day" -- U2
"Lil' Red Riding Hood" -- Amanda Seyfried
"It Will Rain" -- Bruno Mars
"A Thousand Years" -- Christina Perri
"Here Comes the Sun" -- The Beatles
"Fix You" -- Coldplay
"Roar" -- Katy Perry
"Volcano" -- Phillip Phillips
"Close Your Eyes" -- Michael Buble
"Place For Us" -- Mikky Ekko
"Falling" -- The Civil Wars
"Counting On You" -- Mikey Wax
"Safe and Sound" -- Taylor Swift
"Gone" -- Ioanna Gika
"Toxic" -- Melanie Martinez
"Gone, Gone, Gone" -- Phillip Phillips
"Skyfall" -- Adele
"Say Something" -- A Great Big World & Christina Aguilera

(Wow, that was a lot. At least I can say I have variety.) :P

Strangest Google search used to find my blog

"..the magic is in you ..expect the unexpected ..just breath 'til the time you'll understand it all" Yeah.

Five most popular blog posts

1. Strangely enough, number one is "A Lengthened Version of the Story In My Post Called 'Short Story'", which is a post from 2011. I really did not know how to write short blog post titles when I was 11.
2. "Quotes From Cosmo--Part 1"
3. "Writer's Camp--Day 3" (Holy crap, I didn't finish those yet?! Whoops.)
4. "30 Days of Gratitude--Days 11-15"
5. "An Interview With Katherine Fauccet and Kristen Willowfeather"

Three big things that happened in 2013

I got published (!!!).
I went to the Taylor Swift "Red" concert with my family and BFF.
I went to Writer's Camp.

Image from this year

I. LOVE. THIS.


Favorite quote from a book

“Real life was something happening in her peripheral vision.” -- Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell (I think most writers identify with this while they're "in the zone").

“Some infinities are bigger than other infinities.”-- The Fault In Our Stars by John Green

“You are the noblest, purest creature I've ever met. The universe will be a darker place without you.” -- The Host by Stephenie Meyer

“Life damages us, every one. We can’t escape that damage. But now, I am also learning this: We can be mended. We mend each other.”-- Allegiant by Veronica Roth

“Eleanor was right. She never looked nice. She looked like art, and art wasn't supposed to look nice; it was supposed to make you feel something.” -- Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

“My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations.” -- The Fault In Our Stars by John Green

“Becoming fearless isn't the point. It's learning to control your fear, and how to be free from it.” -- Allegiant by Veronica Roth

Favorite quote

YES


This year in one word

Unique

Goals for 2014

Get an agent. (Dreaming big here, but if I don't try, how will I ever succeed)?
Finish edits on The Sorceress.
Finish writing Flightless Birds and Cosmo.
Work on not procrastinating.
Stop using so many emoticons. Seriously, it's getting ridiculous.

Goals for 2013 that I've accomplished

My handwriting has improved profoundly.
I finished writing The Sorceress.
I got published.

Goals for 2013 that I didn't accomplish

Because it's good to recognize your failures, too.

I still procrastinate. A lot. But I'll work on that . . . at some point . . . (Seriously, though, 2014 I'm cracking the whip)!
I still bite my nails some, though I've improved. They're definitely longer and healthier. So not a complete failure, I guess.

See ya' later, 2013! Bring on 2014!

What are your goals for 2014? Anything big happen in 2013? Leave a comment! :D

5 comments:

Lydia said...

Awesome post. Happy New Year, MV!

Anonymous said...

So honored to have made your list of new blogging friends, MV! :)

Best wishes to you for your goals for 2014. Even if you miss a goal, you get farther by striving for them than if you never set a goal at all. Go for it! :)

Oh, and I love the songs "Where the Streets Have No Name" and "Gone," as well. Just thought I'd share that. ;-)

Dr. Mark said...

Great post! It's fun to see how you view your past year. Being around you and seeing all that your doing, I am completely in awe of you. I'm sure 2014 will be equally as great, if not better. I'm really proud of you and consider myself very, VERY lucky to be your father. I also feel fortunate to be one of your "students."

Boquinha said...

Love the post and all sections in it! I'm so proud of you. What a great year! And here it is, 2014, and you're already writing thousands more words just a few days in. Go figure. Ditto, Daddy. Love you!

The Magic Violinist said...

Thanks for the comments, everyone! :)

@storytellergirlgrace You deserve the shout-out!