Monday, February 12, 2018

Rip it or Ship it?

The "Rip it or Ship it?" book tag was created by emmmabooks, and since I was looking for a fun OTP-themed blog post for Valentine's Day, I couldn't pass this one up.

For those who aren't familiar with the tag, the concept of "Rip it or Ship it?" is to mix up a bunch of different names from book characters, randomly select two of them, and smush them together to create a couple. These characters can be (and should be, if you want to make it especially interesting) from different series/book worlds. If you think the two characters would work as a couple, you "ship it." If you think they'll go down in flames, you "rip it."***

***Please note that I don't condone ripping books in any way, shape, or form.

I've picked 10 different combinations of characters (some good, some bad, some so very bad that they're laughable), so . . .


1. Diana Prince from Wonder Woman: Warbringer and Linh Cinder from The Lunar Chronicles.

Amazon warrior + cyborg mechanic. Both of them are fiercely loyal to their friends, have a natural ability to lead, and strive to do what's right for the good of their people. Where Diana tends toward the more adventurous side of things, Cinder is generally more careful and calculated. Like with most of my favorite ships, these two are similar in lots of ways, but complement each other with their opposites. My conclusion:


2. Dolores Umbridge from Harry Potter and Jace Wayland from The Mortal Instruments


The most despicable of evil and condescending teachers at Hogwarts + angsty, muscular, demon hunter . . .


3. Inej Ghafa from Six of Crows and Tris Prior from Divergent

I can definitely see Inej fitting in with the Dauntless crowd, seeing as she's pretty much the tiniest and most terrifying acrobat you're likely to meet. Also, Tris has a strong set of morals, just like Inej. As for the chemistry, well . . . I suppose it could work? Maybe??



4. Neville Longbottom from Harry Potter and Isabelle Lightwood from The Mortal Instruments

Isabelle would completely intimidate Neville for a long time. In fact, Izzy would probably be the one to make the first move. She seems harsh at first, but underneath that callused exterior, she's kind and protective. And, as evidenced by the rabid Simon/Isabelle shippers, she works well with the sweet and dorky underdogs. I think Neville would benefit from someone with so much confidence who could push him to stand up for himself and go after things in life.



5. Cath Avery from Fangirl and Simon Snow from Carry On


I swear I didn't plan this.

As perfect as it would be for Cath, the biggest Simon Snow fan in the universe, to end up with Simon Snow himself, I think even Cath would be opposed to the pairing, seeing as she's dedicated most of her life to the idea that Simon and Baz were somehow going to end up together. Sadly, I have to do this:



6. Peeta Mellark from The Hunger Games and Nina Zenik from Six of Crows

Um, he makes delicious baked goods and she's obsessed with waffles and various tasty pastries. They could grow old together in a cozy little bakery, feasting on waffles and bread. It doesn't get much better than that.


7. Henry "Monty" Montague from The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue and Carswell Thorne from The Lunar Chronicles

I've been cracking up over my keyboard for the past few minutes imagining Monty and Thorne's inevitable meet-cute: they constantly try to one-up each other with their dashing good looks and charm with the ladies, but in their ridiculous competition end up falling for each other instead.


8. Luna Lovegood from Harry Potter and Reid from The Upside of Unrequited

This is a tricky one. On the one hand, Luna and Reid are both outcasts in their social circles, but for different reasons, so they'd probably find some common ground in that. On the other hand, while I find them both adorable, they're adorable in totally different ways. I'm not sure Luna's brand of weird and Reid's would necessarily mesh. So . . .


9. Augustus Waters from The Fault In Our Stars and AIDAN from The Illuminae Files

Nope. Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope.


10. Simon Spier from Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda and Harry Potter from Harry Potter

Again . . . did not plan this.

I think I have to go with this one just so I can indulge Simon's Harry Potter fantasies.


Your turn to play! Pick two characters randomly (out of a hat, from a generator, or from the first two books you spot on your bookshelf) and tell me if you would "rip it" or "ship it." Happy Valentine's Day!

8 comments:

Boquinha said...

Simon and Harry . . . and these GIFs . . . bwhahahahaha!

Dr. Mark said...

Clearly I need to read a few more of these books! I'll agree with your mother--great GIFs!

Book Maniac 12 said...

I have met the characters in all but two of the ships. I agree with you completely!!! These are funny and I loved all the ships you picked out. It's hilarious to think of Jace flirting with Dolores...
I'm glad you loved TMI, by the way!!!!

Book Maniac 12 said...

Nova Artino from Renegades and Rhysand from A Court of Thorns and Roses - just the first I thought of.
Anarchist, rebel and teenager + Immortal and amazingly good looking Fae. ?
I just don't think Nova is worthy of Rhys, and I don't think he'd even bat an eyelash at her if he saw her. Sorry, Nova!

The Magic Violinist said...

@Boquinha

The gifs were probably my favorite part of putting the post together, funny enough. I had no clue there were so many that were perfect for this!

@Dr. Mark

Well, if you're ever looking for suggestions for something new to read, you can check out this post. (Although for the near future, I recommend Simon. It's quick and easy, and then you can see the movie with the rest of us!)

@Sasha

Not bad! I know, when Jace and Dolores came up, I just about lost it. xD I really need to revisit TMI. I loooved Sizzy.

I've yet to read Renegades or ACOTAR, but at a glance it seems like that would be a complicated relationship, good or bad. But I always have a soft spot for immortal people trying to deal with the mortal world.

Boquinha said...

I think the UPS one is my favorite. Laughed out loud. :P

Shannon @ It Starts at Midnight said...

Oh this is too fun! Some of them are hilarious, and some really, really work! Laughing so hard at Augustus and AIDAN. Can you even imagine? And I do like Peeta and Nina! And Inej and Tris honestly work for me too! Your GIF game is on point, too :D

The Magic Violinist said...

@Shannon

Right?? Feel free to steal this, if you want it for your own blog. I was surprised how many actually did work! Augustus and AIDAN . . . *shakes head* I don't even know where to begin with those two. Peeta and Nina might be one of my favorites from this. Thank you! :)